Without proper advice and representation, dealing with family law matters can be overwhelming. Divorce, for example, can be one of the most traumatic and stressful events you will encounter in your life. You’re most likely confused, and don’t know who to turn to.
Adoption, on the other hand, can be exciting, but stressful. You’re hopeful and optimistic about a new addition to your family, but you need help smoothing the way in the adoption process. The laws governing the process of adoption are complicated and can be confusing.
We work to help simplify these rules and laws for you, to make the process more manageable and less stressful. Below are just some of the areas that we can help with.
- Michigan No-Fault Divorce: This means that to file for divorce in Michigan, a spouse only has to claim that there is some problem in the marriage that cannot be resolved. It doesn’t matter which partner is ‘at fault’ in order for the divorce to be granted. However, No-Fault Divorce does not prevent a judge from using the fault of either party as a factor when determining property division and alimony payment.
- Child Custody Negotiations: Michigan’s joint custody law assumes that it’s generally in the best interest of children to keep a relationship with both parents. However, the court is not required to consider joint custody unless one or both of the parents wish it. If this is the case, there are a number of factors a judge will consider when deciding on joint custody. We can help navigate and explain these factors with you.
- Child Support Payment: In Michigan, both parents need to support a child, either through custody or child support payments. If you’re going through divorce, you may be ordered to pay child support, depending upon the situation. Child support may be required even if you don’t have primary custody or the parent who has primary custody has sufficient financial means to support the child.
- Modifications: If you’re unhappy with some aspect of a custody or child support arrangement, or if your circumstances have changed, and you wish to modify the arrangement with the court, we can help negotiate updated terms.
- Adoption Procedures: The legalities of adoption in Michigan are very complex. There are fees and costs that may vary among different adoption agencies, as well as several rules and laws surrounding the process. We can help ease the way to making the joyful expansion of your family happen.
Whatever your family situation may be, we can help.